Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's not all Ribbon & Lace...

I thought I would share another side of our lives with you.  We don't get to play with ribbon, lace, buttons and beautiful fabrics all the time (though it would be really fun).  When I am not in the school room I like to get out of the house and I was able the other day to go up to our cattle yards and see some of our steers being sold.  No we don't do Live Export, these ones are going to a feed lot.  We had a buyer and agent come to home the day before where the buyer decides if steers are of suitable weight and type that he needs.  The following morning the truck arrives and takes them to their new home.



Coming up the ramp and into the truck.





The last of the steers loading.



Most cattle business is done on the front of a ute.  My husband (right) and the truckdriver (left) finalise the Vendor Declaration forms (to be carried by the transporter of the cattle).




They are on their way.

So, this is a regular occurance in all parts of QLD.  As these cattle left our property my heart sank for all those tied up in the Live Export debarckle and we are very thankful that our cattle were able to be sold.

8 comments:

Tina M - Georgie Girl said...

I really enjoyed this insight Kristy. You'll have to do some more showing different aspects of your life and property. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it fascinating.

Carla said...

It looks really dry Kristy. Can't believe how it has dried off since we were there in February.

sharon said...

what I want to know is how you managed to get the shot of them coming up the ramp without getting yourself OR your camera trampled! great post, and yes it is drying off up here north of you as well.

Naturally Carol said...

I also wonder about all those farmers that are in limbo now because of a hasty government decision. I wanted them to do something..but be a little restrained in how they did it!

AnK Bowtique said...

There's more to come of around home now that I am on holidays and can get out a bit now.
Sharon - I stood on the other side of the truck and was able to zoom in enough that I could put the frame of my camera through the rails at the bottom of the trailer.
x Angie

Anonymous said...

And THAT is why there is now that flick " KANSAS KINGS"!!!
( IRONICUS MAXIMUS)

sharon said...

hey, saw some of your hair thingys at the richmond field day, at the Tic Tac Toe stall! Small world! ;-)

DbrhH. said...

That was great. Loved the pics, reminds me of growing up and spending all hols with my grandparents on theproperty the managed. Dirt, dust, cattle and helping with feeding the men, not on such a big scale though.